Five Favorite New TV Shows:
1. The New Girl: I know there are some people out there who don’t like Zooey Deschanel and think she’s a phony, but I LOVE her and I LOVE the character of Jess. Partially because I am a bit of a weirdo nerd (in fact, one day in the middle of me telling a story, my friend Fountain of Youth exclaimed, “Oh my god. You’re Jess!”), and partially because the character makes me cry with laughter on a weekly basis. I dare you to tell me you don’t like this show.
2. The Secret Circle: This show is essentially Dawson’s Creek with witches, which may explain why I like it so much (I am, after all, the proud owner of every Dawson’s Creek season on DVD). It takes place in Fake Washington, which basically means it’s filmed in Squamish and Vancouver so I do enjoy trying to place the scenes. And like Dawson’s Creek, I hate all the parts with the adult characters and want to fastforward over them. Oh angsty, teenage witchy romance!
3. Pan Am: I know this show is not long for this world, but I adore it. All those cute clothes! The hairstyles! The exotic locales! The freaking Pan Am stew uniforms! Not sure how you don’t love it. But apparently I’m one of the few. Currently iTunes is offering all the episodes for free if you want to enjoy it before it flies off into the sunset!
4. Up All Night: We’ve always tried the Will Arnett comedies and they’ve always managed to get cancelled before too long but I think this one will stick around, especially now that it is FINALLY being moved into the Thursday night NBC lineup (although I thoroughly object to Community getting put on hiatus, since I also adore that show). I obviously don’t have kids, but I still think this show is HILARIOUS.
5. Coast Guard Alaska: I never knew about this show because it was on The Weather Channel, but this is basically my DREAM show. The best part about Deadliest Catch are the Coast Guard rescues. Now I get an ENTIRE SHOW DEVOTED TO THEM. My only complaint is that they didn’t film it a year ago when my best college friend’s sister was a helo pilot at Air Station Kodiak.
Three Shows I’m Ready to Retire From My Lineup:
1. Burn Notice: I never know what the hell is going on in this show and I’m 100% convinced if you laid out the story line from day one to now there would be huge, gaping holes in it. Huge. Gaping. Holes. And I think Michael and Fiona have zero chemistry so I’m not sure why I’ve had to watch what feels like 16 seasons of them being star-crossed.
2. X Factor: This is a bit hyperbolic, because the reality is, I never made it past the audition rounds. Not sure why American Idol is so fascinating and X Factor is so NOT, but something is off about the formula and I’m curious to see if it even comes back again.
3. Glee: Mr. Sesh is probably doing cartwheels around the room right now at the very thought of me quitting this show, but I’m not QUITE ready to let it go. I find the storylines rather blah but I can’t resist listening for the music (even though it’s not nearly as good as the first season).
ps- see my 2011 Music Reviews here! you know, in case you missed it.